"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

20.9.07

The Life

I do not want to give this up. How does one keep the keep the unemployed lifestyle whist actually employed?

My teammates seem to manage, although I have never tried to work from home. I wonder if I would have the discipline?

Tuesday morning I was sitting at Beograd cafe in Irving Park, a quaint little Euro-style cafe just around the corner from my apartment, complete with a quicky-mart style grocery store attached to it. Mark from xXx and I asked them to unlock the patio furniture, and chilled out, watching the rush hour traffic go by, enjoying a cup of coffee and ham & cheese croissant while flirting with a cute Russian waitress. We rode for two hours through a glorious morning on an uncrowded bike path down to the Cultural Center and back. The rest of the day was spent job hunting, napping, and in rehearsal, capped off with a beer at Cleo's afterwards with my new "best friend," Traci.

Up early enough Wednesday for coffee and a good breakfast before getting to work. It was slow but I still made $50, not bad for a lunch shift deep in Chicago's northwest side at a pub & grub place. Last night I headed out for a easy session with another teammate, Big Erik through the north shore burbs along the trail leading to Chicago's Botanic Gardens, then back through the streets of Glencoe, Wilmette, and Evanston.

This morning I again rode with Mark and was joined by team El Presidente Bob at Fullerton. I love this time of year. The path-letes are gone for the most part, the Fred's have packed it in, as well, and the "scenery" is out in full color - and not the leaves. Trixies training for the marathon. Just looking mind you, never hurt anyone.

I had an interview this morning with Paul Kozy of, yes, Kozy's Cyclery. Not what I was expecting, and I'm not sure what else to expect. I thought it was going to be a corporate gig, but it seems his corporate operation is pretty grass-roots, for the size of their operation. I would love to sell bikes on commission, but then you are salesman, and not a biker. It would definitely cut into the hours. And as my personal goals these day are decidedly bike-related, I'll be interested to see how this works out. I still would very much like to work at a bike store, however.

It's all a jigsaw puzzle, and soon I will need some financial security, but right now I am not complaining one bit. I hope I can get the best of both worlds.

Maybe I will design a clothing line...(hint, hint...keep checking back...)

No comments: