"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

22.6.07

Let down

The storm was a complete letdown last night. It was as if the weather front split in two like an amoeba as it got to the city limits and went right around Chicago. Whatever thunder and lightning, Sturm und Drang, waited until I was fast asleep.

---------------------

Do any of you remember the first time you saw "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? I will never forget it, and that first viewing has influenced each subsequent time I see that movie, and it's why I'll never get tired of it. All my dad told me, when I was 8 (I think) was that we were going to see a movie. I went in with absolutely zero expectations. Although, what range of expectations can an 8-year old really have? No kissing, no crying, plenty of sword fights and car chases. That should've been enough, right there.

But we all recall our sense of empathy towards probably the first "real" main character in an action-movie, laughing and cringing along at Indy's fear of snakes, and feeling his pain as we heard those punches from that crazy shirtless German guy land on his face in THX surround sound. The feeling of awe as the Ark shimmered goldenly on screen, our anxiousness driven to a fever pitch by John Williams musical score. And what could top a movie for an 8-year old than screaming ghosts and laser beams from God melting off the Bad Guys' faces?!

When the movie was finally released on home video, starting from the first day of summer vacation after 4th grade I watched it 12 days in a row over my bowl of raisin bran, after my parents went to work. They finally had to hide it from me so I would go outside.

"Raiders" made another Top 100 list this week I heard. Definitely makes mine.

No comments: