"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

7.5.08

Hump Day

Regarding the accident that killed cyclist Amanda Annis last week, please contact your state representative and let them know of your support for the Vulnerable Users Bill now before the State House (Thanks CBR).

---------------

Anybody know just what percentage of pro-tour riders have "asthma", anyways?

---------------

With all those breathing problems, you'd think pro-cycling wouldn't be all that interesting to watch...well, one local amateur team has a solution for you! XXX Racing, of which the author of this site is a humble member, is putting on a bicycle race in Chicago's beautiful Sherman Park!

XXX Racing's Sherman Park Criterium will be on Saturday, June 14. Free and open admission to spectators, and open registration to anyone who'd like to participate. You don't even need a team! Just a license, and only a one-day license at that! If you've never raced your bike before, but have smiled as you dreamed of tugging tight your jersey and posting up as you crossed the line, this is race for you to get your feet wet. The park's sloping easy turns make it the ideal locale for a first race.

For you veterans, please pre-register! Also note the earlier date, instead of the usual end-of-the-season event. The higher categories should definitely be more competitive.

Click here to register for the 2008 Sherman Park Criterium!



---------------

Somebody call Chief Wiggem.

---------------

Hipsters: even the Christian Science Monitor is now reporting on your "style." You are officially CONFORMISTS. Just like the rest of us. You know, I don't mind the bike. I have two myself. But I actually race one at the velodrome, and the other is a training tool. But I hate this "back-to-basics" mentality, as if braving the insane urban streets brakeless and helmetless is some measure of your mettle. As if a deraileur system is such a clusterfuck and that hard to maintain.

Fixie Hipsters are the new Amish. This fad cannot die soon enough.

---------------

"Get Hitched - Or Get Plowed"? Why didn't the producers of The Bachelor just save everybody the time and go straight to this? Precedent, I guess.

---------------

Klaus wants his grandmother's bicycle back (It's a couple years old, but something reminded me of it this morning, and I thought it was hilarious).

---------------

Wait...I think this was a CHiPs episode.

2 comments:

Jeff and Debi said...

I sent my buddy Rahm Emanuel an email. I think I'll call his office later today.

brianfmorrissey said...

Word. I have emails and calls into my Alderman, Colon, as well as Ocasio on this, and I'll be emailing my congressman as well tonight. As well as pointing that streets such as North, Kedzie, Western and Irving Park an others that have poor traffic enforcement and constitute a clear and present danger to cyclists. And I'm only talking about CROSSING them on a biked-laned street.