"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

13.1.09

Tuesday Shuffle

In a blatant theft of The A.V. Club's Random Rules in order to boost material and my hipster cred (until that Miley Cyrus track come up) I'll be posting a weekly list of three songs, in order, that pop up on my iPod in shuffle-mode. I may or may not offer any commentary.

Morrissey – Interesting Drug
Man, I am so glad I hooked up with the people I did in my post-college years. Growing up in Alaska, I barely ever listened to anything remotely resembling good music, and certainly nothing that would expand your mind in any way. Your family either had a float plane and/or at least one gun or you listened to Culture Club and The Smiths and got beat up and picked on by those people. I was truly the odd man out – my family never had the impetus to get me involved in all those manly Alaskan outdoor sports, save some fishing every so often. Yet I was never exposed to the other end of the spectrum either, because it usually came with trenchcoats and headbands and hung out in the AV room. Nor did I have the confidence to strike out on my own. But I did have a link – classical music performance, that gave me the curiosity to pick up the bass guitar – that would finally open me up to the vast world all that was good and interesting in pop-music once I started performing in aband upon dropping out of grad school.

One Love (Utah Saints Remix) – The Stone Roses
Probably the #1 influence of that first band I played in, the britpoppy Kiss n' Ride, with Kevin Flynn, now leading the eponymously named Avondale Ramblers.

I Can’t Understand It – Cheap Trick
You'll hear a lot of CT as I have Sex, America, Cheap Trick loaded onto my 5GB Nano. Nothing beats a warm summer night at the Fest in Milwaukee with these guys on stage and my 6th or 7th Leinie's in hand.

No comments: