"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

16.7.07

My apologies...

...for that commotion this morning at the corner of Clark and Hubbard. If you saw a biker with a black fixie and a red tanktop screaming obscenities southward, it was me. Sorry.

I am normally a very defensive biker and tend to be skeptical that any driver will do the right thing or behave with a modicum of respect for the power under his foot. I've only had two real accidents and both have been relatively minor with no overnight hospital stays or broken bones. It's why I pretty much stop at every light, and even count to three after it turns green at the busy intersections. I would never make it as a messenger.

However, this morning I was greener than grass. I had the go since coming through LaSalle. About 10 feet from entering the intersection a silver Caddie comes sailing through his red light as though it were only a polite suggestion.

I heard a faint but distinct, "Eat shit!" as I swerved left and yelled out. Then I went completely berserk. I was hit a month ago, but that guy pulled slowly in front of me and then stopped, letting me go over his hood. Had I been going just a little faster this morning, I would definitely not be racing tomorrow.

Was still shaking about it as I walked into work.

I will get a nice hour massage at Athletico tonight, however and get the rest of it out of my system tomorrow at Whitnall Park. Tomorrow I am gonna place in the money.

A money shot for commuters and roadies and beater-tooler-Sunday-rider-weekend-warriors everywhere.

Comanche.

No comments: