"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

13.7.07

Quick on my Crank

Superweek is here - two solid weeks of racing, my mid-point of the season.

The journey here has been a memorable one - and I can't wait to see where I come out on the other side, 2 weeks from tonight - five races later, sitting around a campfire somewhere west of Milwaukee, drinking a much deserved beer.

I would never have thought I would've come this far so fast, yet from my current vantage point I have much farther to go. These next five races will be fun, yet critical for me, as I attempt to put all I've learned since April into practice. Since the beginning I've had the physical tools. It's the mental ones I've had a hard time bringing to the fore.

The goal tomorrow in Blue Island is to bring them together - not let them stay separate. Mark my man, stay on my wheel, and be patient but aggressive, quick on my crank - and my legs will take me there. My goal is nothing less than at least one Top 5 finish.

A very weird bit of luck this morning:

I was only a 1/2 mile gone from my apartment when I realized I'd forgotten my jersey and shorts - and I had just read this - so I turned around to retrieve them. At that moment, I heard a "ping! dingdingdingdingdingding..." from my front wheel.

I'd just broken a spoke on my Mavic front wheel.

As I am catching a train this afternoon at 2:55 (the last one I can get my bike on before the rush hour ban starts) to Blue Island, I would've been screwed had this happened once I got to the office...and even more so had in happened during the race. I'd also just changed my cassette out on the back wheel last night, and had no to time to reswap it in order to have a matching set...plus the rear Mavic wheel is much lighter, but shit, I hope those spokes hold. This is gonna freak me out.

Let's hope the luck holds, and let's RALLY people! It's on like Donkey Kong! Superweek is here.

No comments: