"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

22.8.07

Hump Day

Some random thoughts for Hump Day:

But first - Phhhhhffffffeeeewwwwffffftttttt!!!

-----------

At lunch today, sitting at the bar of Bandera with my friend Loren, we ate, talked and watched CNN on the TV. There was one of those teasers, for some upcoming expose called: "The Dark Side of Polygamy: One Woman's Escape." This would assume that CNN believes there is a good side. "Coming up...The Totally Awesome Side to Polygamy: One Lucky Fuck in Utah."

------------

I have been getting really annoyed at idle chit chat lately. And especially the type where it's obvious the person chatting is on complete autopilot. It's rotten of me to think so, and I should just be a nicer person, but I believe if you don't have anything meaningful, or at least worthwhile to say, a smile and "hi" will do just fine. There is one woman at my office, for example, who can only talk to me about biking. My biking, specifically. No matter what the weather is she will ask me, as she were Sandy Duncan, if I "rode in this awful weather today." It could either be paradise outside, or hell had frozen over. And my answer is always "yes." And on the one day I don't, because I was going someplace or doing something it would be inconvenient to ride to, I must have finally, "given up, huh?!" Or, she ask me if I crashed again. Come into the office one day 18 months ago banged up from a crash and that will be the image people have of you for the rest of your tenure. Rashed-up face, split-lip, broken nose. "So ya haven't CRASHED yet again, have ya?!" Does it look I crashed again, Sandy? I actually had to tell her to stop asking that before she finally jinxed me. Other times, you can't really blame people. Such as at a family reunion, especially. Distant 2nd cousins, once removed and the like, all standing around, drinking Diet Rite and eating Cheese and Crackers. You have to say something. But of all the topics I don't want to chat about for the 5th time in 10 minutes, explaining my job to a Midwestern housewife is definitely one of them. And, yes, the Big City certainly IS exciting. And seeing how you live in Madison, I'll have to take a pass on getting on that blind date with your neighbor's daughter's friend.

---------

I am really looking forward to these next few months. Recording and touring and gigging. It's been a long time since I've had a good road story. I think tonight I'll write about a couple good ones. Warning, they aren't exactly family material, either.

No comments: