"It never gets any easier. You just go faster." ---Greg Lemond
"Don't buy upgrades. Ride up grades." --- Eddy Merckx
"You drive like shit." ---The Car Whisperer

19.2.08

The Last Day

I've lived entire lifetimes in the afternoon,
With crisp blue mornings and frosty dusks.
The sunlight spilling its life-giving blood
Across eroding cliffs and deepening valleys.

I've waged battle and fought wars many times,
Commanded armies and founded kingdoms.
Each instance celebrated to my heroic death;
Then reborn to build my legend again.

A long, gray beard hides beneath my cloak,
Yet will it imbue the strength of those
Who've lived and lost and felt the pain
Of jagged blades and arrows scraping bone?

Those who've reached and attained the
Heights of mountains only fleetingly, yet
Who know that the blood pooling at their feet
Is real, with the scarlet of a single day's light?

For my victories are just dreams, my many
Lives are mere lessons learned to teach that
Fear is the key, as an enemy, but also as
A partner. As a shield, and a weapon. And as Me.

Soon the cold, blue ice and shadow of night
Will retreat to the glint of sunlight on dew.
The dream will be banished to rocks and roots
And my final day will have arrived at last.

No comments: